Life Success Lessons From 16 Mark Twain Quotes
By Thea Westra - ForwardSteps.com.au
1. A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.
There is nothing more satisfying than that sense of being completely "at home" in your own skin. When you achieve that as a natural state of "being", then you can finally look beyond yourself and fully contribute all your talents to the world.
2. Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. So many look to eradicate fear from their lives, when that is an impossible task. You can certainly experience moments in absence of fear, however accept that fear will be with you whenever you are in the process of living creatively. The challenge is to go ahead regardless, simply notice the feeling and manage being courageous.
3. Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
To live a fulfilled life, we need to keep creating the "what is next", of our lives. Without dreams and goals there is no living, only merely existing, and that is not why we are here.
4. Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.
You cannot eliminate habits that no longer serve you. You can only replace them with new habits that support your goals. Moment by moment, you need to live with awareness and structure the habits that you include or exclude in your days.
5. It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
Overnight success is a fallacy. It is preceded by a great deal of preparation. Ask any successful person how they came to this point in their lives, and they will have a story to tell.
6. Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
When you are seeking to bring big plans to fruition, it is important with whom you regularly associate. Hang out with friends who are like-minded and who are also designing purpose-filled lives. Similarly, be that kind of a friend for your friends.
7. Time cools, time clarifies; no mood can be maintained quite unaltered through the course of hours.
When you make a decision to "be" a particular way, you can count on change and external circumstances to come along which will challenge that decision. Remain vigilant after declaring a major decision and manage yourself in relationship to the goal. Set up structures that support you staying on target.
8. You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
As in the words of Wayne Dyer, when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. Sometimes to know with certainty that a particular thing is "true", will actually be the very thing that keeps you from attaining the things you seek to achieve.
9. All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
You can "already know for sure" things that could actually impede progress. Always be on the look out for the things you did not know, that you did not know. Secondly, work on strengthening personal belief that a particular will be achieved regardless of any adversity that may show up, or evidence to the contrary.
10. We are always more anxious to be distinguished for a talent which we do not possess, than to be praised for the fifteen which we do possess.
Sometimes we are too close to the scene, to see clearly. We "know" ourselves so well that we cannot see how we are perceived by others. Our opinion of ourselves is only "one" opinion, and it may not be the truth.
11. I can teach anybody how to get, what they want out of life. The problem is that I can't find anybody who can tell me what they want.
Once you are crystal clear about the intended end result that you seek to produce, all the ways that it can become a done deal start to reveal themselves to you. There are many who have accomplished exactly what you want to achieve and could show you the way. You are not ready to ask them because you are not clear and you have not determined which questions need answers.
12. If the desire to kill and the opportunity to kill always came together, who would escape hanging?
Framed in a more positive light, this tells us also that if we wish to accomplish a particular thing then we need to increase our level of desire for that thing and to create or seek out the opportunities and right environment for it to happen without fail.
13. We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove lid. She will never sit on a hot stove lid again - and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore.
There is no failure, there are no accidents, and there are no mistakes. They are all learning experiences and stepping-stones. How many times does a baby fall over in the transition from crawling to walking? Do they give up on ever being able to walk simply because of a few tumbles?
14. The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
It is said that leaders are readers. However if they read trashy magazines for the majority of their time and they never run with the information that they glean from resourceful books, then they may as well have not taken any time to read at all.
15. I have spent most of my time worrying about things that have never happened.
Worrying is not an action! In fact, it is action that alleviates concern and dissipates worries. Take more actions when you feel that worry is creeping in to steal your time. It need not be a huge action, any action in the direction you want to go will do.
16. When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.
See what happens when you "know it all", at any stage of life? Farther down the track you may see clearly how certain personal opinions, held onto too tightly, could be fogging up the view, and providing incorrect insight.
© Thea Westra lives in Perth, Australia. She publishes a wealth of material for increased life power, self improvement, inspiration, personal success, online business, and internet know-how. Enjoy her many self-improvement resources at http://www.myforwardsteps.com and her latest book at http://www.timeformylife.com
Want To Use This Article? Thea Also Recommends A Visit To Her Book Time For My Life
Share, earn, and learn by being an Affiliate or use this easy Tell-A-Friend